Wednesday, December 24, 2008

I've been all about My Bloody Valentine!

Ever listen to music that makes you feel like you are floating in the air looking down at fields of flowers while smiling to the point where your face starts hurting? That is what My Bloody Valentine does for me. My Bloody Valentine is a shoegaze band, which in my world means a band that plays dreamy musical orgasms. They have influenced people ranging from Tim Payne of Thursday to Trent Reznor. They are very innovative and influential. Lately I cannot stop listening to them. I've been listening to "Isn't Anything", their first album. Before that they released a bunch of ep's. I love this album, even though I'd say the one after it, "Loveless" is much stronger and in the zone. In the My Bloody Valentine fan kingdom, if you like anything more than Loveless, it seems like your opinion to most fans means shit. I find it amusing how it seems like a war between fans at times over their own opinions. I'm listening to the song "Come In Alone" off of "Loveless" and my dog keeps barking at it. Which is weird since he is a rather quiet dog. Could this mean he approves or disapproves? Is he saying "This is cool!" or "Shut this crap off!"? If he is saying the latter, he's out of his little mind. Kevin Shields is one of my heroes. The way he writes his music amazes me. He plays guitar by strumming chords with his tremolo bar and makes sounds he himself has trouble recreating live. The layering in the songs is so well done and fits so well that it makes you feel like you have just took a lot of good acid. Even though it makes you feel that way, stay away from the drugs since My Bloody Valentine can give you a better trip than LSD. Drugs are poop! Anyway, I like mostly all of their stuff. Except for the early stuff when Shields didn't sing and Bilinda Butcher wasn't in the band. It is very much garage rock and sounds like Screaming Jay mixed with The Sonics, very different from their later Cocteau Twins and The Jesus and the Mary Chain influenced sound. The song that got me into them was "Sometimes". It still remains one of the most important songs to me. I recommend that if you want to start to listen to them you check out anything off of Loveless then move your way down to the earlier stuff. This band is too fucking good.

Songs to start with:
Sometimes
Soon
Only Shallow
Come In Alone

All are off Loveless.

Then listen to "Isn't Anything" and anything else.

Do It!

No comments:

Post a Comment